Keeping up with preventative maintenance is essential for both diesel and gas vehicles to ensure safety and optimal performance. Many items on the checklist are the same for both types of vehicles; however, diesel vehicles typically require less preventative maintenance than gas vehicles. CDP Diesel & Auto in Palmerston, ON, provides maintenance services for both gas and diesel vehicles.
Vehicle Maintenance Required for Diesel Vehicles and Gas Vehicles
Dividing the checklist into categories simplifies the process. Items exclusive to gas or diesel vehicles are marked accordingly, with a single star indicating gas-powered vehicles only, and a double star for diesel-powered vehicles only.
- Check the oil level and quality of the oil at least once per month. For heavy-duty service, such as diesel trucks that are often left idling, check the oil once per week. Most vehicles require an oil change every 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
- Inspect the belts and hoses.
- Test the battery and charging system.
- Clean or replace the engine air filter.
- Inspect the exhaust system.
- Check glow plugs.**
- Check plug wires, coil and distributor on older vehicles.*
- Change timing belts at 60,000 miles or pursuant to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Change timing chains at 100,000 to 120,000 miles or pursuant to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Check the coolant level and test the quality of the coolant.
- Flush the coolant every five years or pursuant to the vehicle manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Inspect the radiator, radiator hoses and heater hoses.
- Test the thermostat and water pump, including checking for water pump leaks.
- Inspect the fuel filters and change them as needed or pursuant to the manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Check for fuel leaks from the tank to the engine.
- Test the fuel pressure.
- Inspect the injectors.
Fluid Checks and Changes
- Check all fluids and top off as needed, including the coolant, power steering fluid, transmission fluid, windshield washer fluid, brake fluid and oil.
- Flush the transmission fluid and replace the filter.
- Drain and refill the differential(s) with new fluid.
- Inspect the lights and turn signals.
- Clean the battery terminals as necessary and ensure they are tight.
- Check the alternator and starter.
- Check the brake pads, rotors, brake hoses, brake lines, drums and wheel cylinders.
- Look for brake leaks, including at the master cylinder.
- Test drive to ensure the brakes are working properly.
- Check the emergency brake.
Tires and Wheels
- Check the tire pressure at least once monthly.
- Check the tread depth.
- Rotate the tires at 5,000 to 7,500 miles.
- Inspect tires for cuts, bulges (separated tire) and uneven wear.
- Balance tires at one per year.
- Check alignment once per year unless you drive on a lot of dirt roads or poorly maintained roads, then every six months.
Suspension and Steering
- Check shocks and struts.
- Inspect the tie rods, control arm bushings, ball joints and sway bar bushings.
- Check the power steering fluid. Flush every five years or as otherwise recommended by the manufacturer.
- Examine the gearbox or rack and pinion for wear and leaks.
- Check the power steering pump and hoses for leaks.
How Ignoring Preventative Maintenance Affects Your Vehicle
Ignoring preventative maintenance only causes you to spend more money in the long run. When you bring your vehicle into CDP Diesel & Auto, we complete a comprehensive check to ensure your vehicle is safe to drive. We also look for upcoming issues, such as worn brakes. We’ll let you know if you need repairs now or in the near future – that way, you can plan to have your vehicle in the shop for the time it takes to make those repairs.
Spending money on preventative maintenance also saves money in the long run since we can catch issues before they get so bad that they damage additional parts. For example, allowing brake pads to get too low damages the rotors and can damage the calipers and brake hoses.
Contact CDP Diesel & Auto for Preventative Maintenance for Gas and Diesel Trucks in Palmerston, ON
Don’t wait until the telltale signs of wear and tear put your journey on hold. Ensure your vehicle’s longevity and performance with expert preventative maintenance. Whether it’s diesel or gasoline, our team at CDP Diesel & Auto has you covered. Book an appointment today and drive confidently tomorrow. Contact us at (519) 418-3344 or drop us an email at [email protected]. Your vehicle’s best days are ahead, and we’re here to make sure of it!